QtRuby/Korundum RAD workshop
Chair: Richard Dale
The aim of the workshop will be to explore various interesting things you can do with ruby Qt/KDE programming. Topics include:
- Using QtDBus with QtRuby. KDE4 will have many services accessible via dbus (both KDE and Gnome), and ruby is an excellent way of quickly writing GUI front ends to these services
- Integrating Qt/KDE C++ code in extensions with QtRuby. How to make calls to slots in KParts directly, and how new ruby classes are created on the fly using Qt's introspection.
- Using the KDevelop debugger to learn about how Qt works. The debugger gives a much better picture than, say gdb, about the object structure inside a running Qt or KDE program. Much effort has been put into integrating the Qt runtime introspection features with ruby inspect and pretty_print methods.
- Using QtRuby with Rails. I will shown how you can use ActiveModels and ActiveResources to build powerful database GUI apps that communicate with a web based RESTful backend. Using KDevelop to develop Rails apps.
- Using Qt Designer with the rbuic and rbrcc tools to quickly create GUIs
- Using irb with QtRuby/Korundum. How to prototype apps from the irb command line with suitable .irbrc start scripts.